ENAD was established on September 1970. It is the national member of the World Federation of the Deaf. It has 28 branches across the country and represents over 3.5 million Deaf people in Ethiopia.
ENAD envisions to see an Ethiopia who provides equal access to information and communication to its Deaf citizens.
ENAD missions to create awareness about deafness in Ethiopia; eliminate negative attitudes attached to deafness; making educational and health services accessible to the Deaf people; building the economic and political capacity of the Deaf; and working to research, document and expand so as to gain the social and legal recognition of Ethiopian Sign Language. ENAD also missions to empower the Deaf community to become self-sufficient productive citizens.
ENAD aims the following:
- Ensuring that the rights of Deaf Ethiopians are fully respected by working with the relevant governmental and non-governmental organizations
- Building the overall capacity of Deaf Ethiopians to enable them to defend their own rights
- Provide the necessary monitoring and protection for Ethiopian Sign Language to ensure its development promotion, receive proper legal and community recognition and become pone of our country’s official languages.
- To closely work with all relevant government offices and provide the necessary monitoring to ensure that the training of Ethiopian Sign language is provided properly
- To work to ensure that appropriate training is offered to all Ethiopian Sign Language interpreters and only those qualified and certified interpreters are drafted to work in the field.
- Striving to ensure that Deaf citizens are properly included in education, employment, social, cultural, and economic activities.
- Promoting the abilities among the deaf and engaging in activities aimed at altering the misconceptions and myths about deafness and the Deaf held by the society.
- Create self-awareness among the Deaf.
- Facilitate the Deaf get accurate and timely information about local, national and international issues in their own language through all possible media.
ENAD is part of the Local Organizing Committee (LoC) to host TISLR 15, for the first time in Africa and Ethiopia. ENAD is represented in the LoC by one of its Deaf members, Mrs. Hiwot Getachew.
Ethiopian National Association of the Deaf (ENAD)
Phone Number +251-111-222-517
Postal Address፡ 21359, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia